Wednesday, October 9, 2013

SANGAMAM- UNITY IN DIVERSITY for NAVARASA 2013

Navarasa festival is organized every year by Jupiter Fine Arts. This is Navarasa’s fifth year and it was a 3 day festival of Music , Dance and Drama. I feel happy to have performed on the inauguration day , October 2nd 2013, which also happens to be Gandhi Jayanthi. When the organizers approached me for this concert, they really wanted something unique, not done before kind of thing. Giving it a deep thought, it struck me that we have pure Carnatic concerts happening or Film music shows or fusion kind of shows but would it be possible to provide a coherent package of all the most loved genres for the audience in 2 hours? Well, that’s how SANGAMAM was born. This seed was sown into my mind one fine day and it started taking shape intuitively as I began drafting a list of most loved genres. I personally sing Carnatic, Film music, Bhajans, Ghazals and I have seen Chennai audience enjoying all these genres so much! Also the fact that India is a land of diverse cultureswith every state boasting of a different kind of music, made me feel that this would also be a fitting tribute to Mahatma Gandhi in the language of the soul, transgressing all boundaries- MUSIC. I immensely thank my team of musicians who made Sangamam possible. I had the violin and Mridangam for classical accompaniment and had keys, table, flute etc for the lighter side. The 2 hours was enjoyed so much by the star-studded audience and the chief guests for the evening were Dancer and Director of Kalakshetra foundation, Dr Priyadharsini Govind who appreciated the Sangamam concept and thoroughly enjoyed the concert till the very end. Other eminent personalities were Dr Kamala Selvaraj (Daughter of Gemini Ganesan) who was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed “Singara Velane Deva”( Konjum Salangai- Starring Gemini Ganesan and Savithri) (It was pure coincidence , I did not have the slightest clue that she was coming for the concert!, Celebrity photographers G. Venket Ram, Karthik Srinivasan, Actor Jayaprakash, Sri Ranjani and many others. The proceeds of this show went towards RMD Pain and palliative care trust. I have posted some memorable photos for all of you to see and share and videos will be posted very soon here!!

No comments: